Saturday, May 14, 2005

Kryptonite

Now that I graduated from college I have decided to clean up my table a bit and throw out most of the old garbage. I also went on a book-selling spree and made over $100 so far. Anyway, back to the garbage. I knew there existed a certain item somewhere in the general table area that would hurt me if I were to touch, look, or even think about it (did I mention I am a very sentimental person?). So think like kryptonite for Superman. At the same time I have been having trouble sleeping recently knowing it's only a few feet away from me. So I finally decided to make a surgical strike, locate the item and destroy it violently.

I began by removing a heavy dictionary, followed by a bunch of old PC magazines, computer parts, cables and weird boxes. Yet it was nowhere to be found. I proceeded to look on the bottom of the shelf where there were a bunch of playbills and a Canadian coin I muse have misplaced after my last trip there. And then there it was - stuck inside one of the playbills - the first love letter from my ex-girlfriend. It was the only item hidden from the world well enough that it escaped the initial massacre or exile of ex-related items in the first few days. I proceeded to rip it into multiple pieces and shove them into a garbage bag. Whew.

3 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

:) A thought from me (after the fact...)

Having stuff lying around from your ex is shitty while you're still hurting. I did a mass-destroy after my worst relationship but in general I shove everything into one box and leave it in the closet. Years later you might sort through the contents fondly - it will hardly hurt then, if at all.

I've never thrown out any love letter I've ever received. They are too precious, even for relationships that were disasters. You learn so much and change so much because of who you've loved... The letters are sort of the only "proof" that what has hurt you and changed you so much actually happened and was real.

When you're feeling really down on yourself the letters are a reminder that at one time someone loved you; it's likely that in the future someone else will love you, as well.

If you've any more unwanted love letters the most romantic thing you could do with them is to "seed" them in the used books you sell. (Pick fiction rather than, say, advanced physics.) Whoever buys the book might find the letter and read it - s/he can wonder about the couple in the letter and daydream about what happened to them. Was the letter a wayward treasure tucked away and accidentally sold? S/he will never know. In that person's mind, at least, the letter writer and the letter recipient will always be in love (there's no ending available.)

I'm awfully sentimental, too. :)

2:30 AM  
Blogger Ld said...

Yeah, I did the box-in-the-closet thing too, but this was the one item I forgot and the box was sealed too tightly to put it back in.

I like the idea of putting it into books; too bad I haven't thought of it earlier.

Now I feel bad about it :(

11:19 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

I've never been on the bad end of a breakup, but I still purge after each one. Apparently I have no sentiment whatsoever.

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home